Kobo - Faulty ereader - horizontal lines

When I turned the page a horizontal white band with grey stripes appeared across the centre of the screen. I tried all the reset options, nothing works.

Customer service says because it was bought "through a third party" (Amazon), there is no manufacturer's warranty. Searching online, this appears to be a design fault that has been known for at least 4 years!

Product or Service Mentioned: Kobo Aura H2O Ebook Reader.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Kobo Frozen Screen

1.5

I am now on my third Kobo. After requiring many successful factory resets the first two locked up permanently, just out of warranty.

Despite researching all the reset info I could find they did not respond, I even took one apart, replaced the battery and re-imaged the internal 2 GB Micro SD memory card... nothing.

From the number of resets required on both readers I can only assume that Kobo hardware and software is very low quality and not built to last.

So why have I bought another one? It seems in Canada at least Kobo have undercut and eliminated the competition with low quality garbage. Sony have now stopped making ereaders. Because Kobo attracted me to their bookstore I have purchased many books in epub format so Kindle is not an option. There are therefore very few reasonably priced choices apart from some which are even lower quality than Kobo. The only other option is Onyx which is quite expensive, but I suppose you get what you pay for.

It is a shame that Kobo continue to attract unsuspecting customers who will regret their decision after a couple of years.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Improve Kobo product quality before your reputation puts you out of business.

I liked: Convienience when it worked.

I didn't like: Quality.

• Kobo E-readers

Kobo in San Francisco, California - EBOOK ORDER

e-Study Guide for: College Algebra by James Stewart, ISBN 9781111990169

WAS FULL A 1800s HISTORY GUIDE.

*** SITE IS A SCAM, NO RESPONSE.

GOING TO THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY TO PUT HOLD ON PURCHASE.

How to contact links to a broken page:

Kobo Arc HD Tablet starting at $129.99! »

Oops!

Sorry, we're unable to locate the content you're looking for. The content may no longer be available or the link you followed may be broken. The problem has been reported. In the meantime, try a search.

If you continue to receive this notification, please contact our Customer Care department for assistance:

Call 1-855-732-3662 (8am-12am EST)

Email: help@kobo.com (24 hours)

Kobo Mini broken

Featured Not resolved

My Kobo has lines running across the screen. I had the device for a month before it happened.

I carry my Kobo in my bag at all times (I am a daily subway commuter) and with, I may add, a Kobo slip-on case. Kobo Customer Care assured me that based on my images I sent to them, (front and back) the problem was an internal physical damage and therefore NOT covered under the one-year warranty. I tried numerous times to plead my case since I've had it for less than 30 days. I understand the policies and conditions that Kobo needs to stand by, but this process should not be about pointing fingers but to keep me (a young avid consumer and reader) happy with my Kobo device.

The fact that I decided to purchase a Kobo, instead of an Amazon Kindle shows my trust in their products/devices, right now that is non-existant.

Please revive my faith!! @damagedhumanreader

Comments

The problem in cases where the display has *not* cracked or shattered, is due to a failure of the flat flexible cable on the eInk display. The eInk display substrate is a piece of glass and the cable that connects it to the Kobo wraps around the bottom edge of the glass.

It is important to note that the entire display and cable is purchased from eInk and not manufactured by Kobo. What happens is pressure and minor movements on the bottom of the display bezel (likely transferred by the IR shroud) cause the delicate traces to rub against the glass. All it takes is a minor break in these tiny traces to cause the display to fail with lines. I've found the bottom half horizontal lines associate to a break in a trace about 1/4 to 1/3 of the width from the left.

Try pressing delicately in this area and cause the screen to change.

This is a manufacturing defect - or at least a design flaw by eInk to not protect the traces from the display's glass edge. Kobo does not want to warranty this because it's not their defect. But it is their product.

Hopefully this has been remedied in newer models. ...but it would be a valid claim for a class-action suit.

#1020699

Same has happened to me. Kobo was in protective case and left for half an hour in sleep mode.

When I tried to turn it on half the book cover froze and vertical and horizontal lines appeared. These get worse each time I switch it on! I had exactly the same email from Kobo help, word for word. They will not help.

My reader is 3 weeks old.

I am thinking of taking it back to the shop. I have also tried emailing koboexecutivecare@kobo.com but had no reply.

Currently having the exact same issue with kobo

i had the same experience with kobo customer support.
i sent them an image clearly showing *vertical* lines running through the device.

the email i got back said "Software defects only display straight horizontal or vertical lines. Physical/Internal damage displays lines that are curved or run diagonally across the screen, as seen on the images you have provided to us..."

now, instead of admitting it is their product, they asked for more photos! (i'm sure they will come up with another b*##it excuse)

:( :( :(
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada #701908

I had a similar problem with my kobo touch. I emailed the customer care stating that I had received my kobo less than a year ago as a gift (a family member won it at a social). The kobo is always in its case and actually never leaves my nightstand. I read for a few hours before bed every week and the odd time on weekends. I used it last night and it worked fine. Turned it on this afternoon and lines popped across the screen. Then this is the response I get. Oh by the way my name is not Mary but this kobo rep seemed to think it was. And the pictures don't show a large patch near the right as this rep states so I'm not sure what she was looking at. I've worked customer service and this to me is completely unacceptable.

Response Via Email (Kristein A) 08/17/2013 10:58 PM

Hi Mary,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care.

We are sorry that you are experiencing problems with your device.

From the picture it can be noticed that near to the right of the device toward the bottom there is a large shattered patch which is the part of the device where the impact has occurred. Such damage cannot occur due to a manufacturing defect.

Please be advised that this does not happen only when a device is dropped (some other ways are: something solid falls on the device, something heavy and strong is accidentally places on the device, or the device may have come in contact with some other strong object while in a purse, bag, or a drawer).

Some times these physical damages pass unnoticed or happen without the knowledge of the customers, especially when the device is handled by other members of the family as well.

In addition, as mentioned, this is a kind of damage that cannot occur due to a manufacturing defect or malfunction and the 1 year warranty covers only manufacturing defects.

Therefore, due to the nature of the damage, the problem you are experiencing with your device falls beyond the warranty and, unfortunately, we cannot repair/replace the device.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

The Kobo Team

to Denise #887155

Kobo Aura *2. First one just froze - replaced.

Second one woke up dead. Sent them the photos and had the self same response. Word for word except for para 1. I have a curved line on the bottom left.

Matter is still in dispute. Do an internet hunt for BBB. Kobo are accredited by them and handle complaints on customers behalf. Kobo's rsponse seems pretty random.

There are some examples where they have offered replacements and others where they stick to the line of not covered by guarantee 'cos not a manufacturing defect.

I suspect the screens are just very prone to cracking under normal flexion, maybe because of the lighting panel. Good luck

Toronto, Ontario, Canada #701140

Hello,

We're sorry to hear you have experienced this issue. Please feel free to contact KOBOExecutiveCare@kobo.com where a member of the Kobo Executive Care team will contact you.

View more comments

Kobo in Washington, District Of Columbia - A Dishonest Company

This company took my money on March 4, 2013 instantly out of my account. I called them and asked for a refund and they assured me I would get a refund within 3-5 business days.

I called today 12 days later asking about my refund. I got excuses. This company is dishonest and a rip-off. If they have the capability to take my money within seconds why does it take 12 days and I still have not received my refund.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.

I spoke to and/or received emails from Kimone and Carolina D. I have in writing the company was refunding my money, but 12 days later I still don't have it.

KOBO EBOOKS.........CUST SVC

When I tried to access my account with Kobo, it said my password was not correct, I couldnt remember the password so i attempted to contact them....the phone number i had referred me to their website and i called the tel number given.........the number given did NOT respond to its own prompts! taking several tries to even get to a cust service rep.

I was told my issue would go to their tech dept and i would receive an email to reset my password...........the link that was provided from the email i received did NOT work........I am now the recipient of nearly 30 emails the "dont reply" kind with this same link that doesnt work........after requesting a phone call from them and only to receive another email . One of their initial cust service people attempted to walk me through it but the link did NOT work either at that time.......was told it would go to a higher tech and once again a slew of no reply emails with links that didnt work and no response to my plea to have someone call me to resolve the issue. I also purchased books from them and paid with a card that should have taken my payment immediately from my bank account but they never followed through according to the bank they were given an authorization but never sent the paperwork......now they addressed that immediately but as far as my being able to check my account with them etc i am only receiving those *** worthless emails. trying to get ahold of their corporate office is also impossible or even their executive cust service, I have emailed and wrote a letter to the physical address to their CEO but I am sure it will fall on deaf ears, they could care less about their cust service phone problems or any issues........my last nerve has been shattered......the links they send and it is NOT a quick response are only good for five hours from the time they send them and since i am NOT on my computer twenty four seven i never know when they were sending them and several were already expired by the time i got them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and several were sent at the same time! and NONE of them worked......what a *** company as far as customer support goes...........i will save up for a kindle fire and go elsewhere and would NEVER recomend them the worst and most abysmal cust service i have ever encountered

Comments

I find customer service quite easy to access, at Kobo. I have noticed, lately, that the actual list price of books differs from the price one pays after clicking on "buy this book." Hence, the advertised saving is not, in fact true, after an additional 20% plus is tacked on to the original advertised price, prior to check-out.

I wonder how many people fail to notice this, having checked the price once, already. It seems quite unethical, to me to pad book costs so that the majority of consumers might not notice.

Kobo stinks!!! No one should ever buy a Kobo ereader.

Customer service is horrible and the ereader is bad. Buy a Kindle or Nook stay away from Kobo!!!!

Kobo E-Reader Repeat Problems

I am neutral for this complaint only because it has been handled by customer service.

I purchased a Kobo e-reader from Chapters in the 2010 Christmas season. 2 days after first operation, the screen went blank. I assumed it was my fault since Chapters wouldn't exchange it. A few months later I contacted Kobo directly and they very speedily replaced my reader.

here I am 4 months later and the same problem has occurred. In the middle of reading one night, my Kobo screen froze, then reappeared with black and grey lines.

I contacted Kobo through email and heard nothing back for 48 hours. I tried again through email and heard nothing for 24 hours. So I called.

The guy on the phone helped me immediately and within one week I had received a refurbished reader.

I am hopeful the same thing will not happen.

Comments

I've had issues with them and called twice sat on hold for 20 min each time. they told me they'd fix problem.

Never fixed.

I sent emails twice and never recieved a reply. Still have no recieved what I paid for.